Thursday, September 27, 2007

Happy Belated Anniversary Katie & Fraser


I've just returned from my second photo workshop, where I was so busy that I couldn't get to blogging. Just a year ago, I shot some of my niece's wedding. In truth, I never wanted to be a wedding photographer and in fact, thought it to be far less prestigious (read; lowest form of photography) than my still life and food photography business. When Katie asked me to shoot her wedding, I quickly responded "NO, you need a real wedding photographer who has shot many of them successfully". I did however ask her to tell her photographer that her Aunt was a pro shooter who would be taking lots of photos (I was not going to miss the opportunity to shoot my beautiful niece like crazy, but certainly did not want to step on any ones toes in the process). Wow, did my world change. I never imagined that I would have so much fun shooting. Your at an amazing event, witnessing a couples precious new journey in life. Not to mention the gorgeous setting, flowers, food and all the intricate details that go into making a wedding. I instantly became a convert. I bought new gear and started learning about how to shoot weddings. I've come to see this genre of photography as a fine art. It introduced me to some of the most talented photographers that I've ever met. I am proud to say that I feel a sense of community with these other professionals. Look how wrong you can be. I have shed my preconceived notions about what wedding photography is. I'm now more concerned with making it my art in hopes that others will also see that possibility. So a belated happy first anniversary to you Katie and Fraser! Your beautiful union changed my life. I am blessed!

No comments: